Saturday, January 22, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent - Hypoallergenic, Effective, and Saves You Money

Homemade laundry detergent is safe, effective, easy to make, efficient, and cheaper than your alternatives. I admit I was skeptical when I came across Matt Jabs' recipe for Homemade Laundry Detergent on DIY Natural. But with a tag line of "Save Money... Increase Freedom" who wouldn't want to give his recipes a go? Plus, he was kind enough to share his personal cost breakdown which came to a savings of $.16/load! My personal savings were greater, but I did not save my receipts or calculations. (Perhaps next time, or why not share your own?) Note, this detergent is safe for front loading and top loading washers as well as High-Efficiency washing machines.
  
 
Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe:
     1 Bar of Soap* (free of dyes & perfumes)
     1 Cup of Borax
     1 Cup of Washing Soda
*I chose Dove® sensitive skin/unscented body soap simply because I had it. What do you have on hand?


Tools
      Cheese Grater
      Container for Detergent
      1 Tablespoon
 


Directions
Using your cheese grater, shred the entire bar of soap into the container of your choice.

Combine the cup of Borax and the cup of Washing Soda with the shredded soap.

Stir for several minutes until thoroughly mixed.

Lastly, toss a full load of soiled laundry into your washer followed by 1 Tablespoon of your freshly made laundry detergent.




And just in case you have any doubts, here's my original review...
"My family consists of several dogs and birds which when combined with our choice to refrain from using paper towels creates heavily soiled laundry. Thus, the ultimate test ensued. One SUPER soiled load of laundry and 1 tablespoon of your laundry detergent. The outcome was remarkable; I stuck my nose atop the freshly spun towels and to my surprise smelled clean linen! I will fall asleep tonight to the tumbling of my dryer and sleep peacefully knowing the environment and my wallet have been minimally impacted."
Happy Laundering!
Babel

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! My family needs hypoallergenic detergent, so I have been buying the expensive stuff. I will try making this instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this exact recipe call for more in the washer than one tablespoon (1/3 cup instead). Is one tablespoon effective?

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.